Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This volume includes:
- The second part of the 1951 Silmarillion drafts
- An expanded account of the Grey Annals the history of Beleriand after the coming of the Elves.
- Additional narratives involving Húrin and the tragedy of his children (see Narn i Chîn Húrin). "The Wanderings of Húrin" is the conclusion to the "Narn". This was not included in the final Silmarillion because Christopher Tolkien feared that the heavy compression, which would have been necessary to make it, a stylistic match with the rest of the book would have been too difficult and would have made the story overly complex and difficult to read.
- Christopher Tolkien's explanation of how he, with the collaboration of fantasy author Guy Gavriel Kay, constructed Chapter 22 of the Silmarillion, since none of the texts left by Tolkien for this purpose were up-to-date enough to serve the purpose. In particular, the old texts all have Thingol portrayed as a miserly swindler who cheats the Dwarves out of their payment, and the portrayal of the Girdle of Melian in the older stories is much weaker than the impenetrable barrier of the post-LotR writings.
- "Quendi and Eldar", which discusses in greater detail the origin of the Elves and their sunderings.
- Tolkien's exploration of the origins of the Ents and the great Eagles
Table of Contents Edit
- Part One: The Grey Annals
- Part Two: The Later Quenta Silmarillion
- Part Two, chapter 1: "Of Men"
- Part Two, chapter 2: "Of the Siege of Angband"
- Part Two, chapter 3: "Of Beleriand and its Realms"
- Part Two, chapter 4: "Of Turgon and the Building of Gondolin"
- Part Two, chapter 5: "Concerning the Dwarves"
- Part Two, chapter 6: "Of the Coming of Men into the West"
- Part Two, chapter 7: "Of the Ruin of Beleriand and the Fall of Fingolfin"
- Part Two, chapter 8 (?) : "The Last Chapters"
- Part Three: The Wanderings of Hurin and other writings not forming part of the Quenta Silmarillion
- Part Three, chapter 1: "The Wanderings of Húrin"
- Part Three, chapter 2: "Aelfwine and Dirhaval"
- Part Three, chapter 3: "Maeglin"
- Part Three, chapter 4: "Of the Ents and the Eagles"
- Part Three, chapter 5: "The Tale of Years"
- Part Four: Quendi and Eldar
- Part Four: Index