Verlyn Flieger (born February 24th 1933) is a prominent Tolkien-editor, scholar, and author who professes on Medieval literature and "comparative mythology" in the Department of English at the University of Maryland at College Park. Alongside Douglas Anderson and Michael D. C. Drout, Flieger is a co-editor of the annual works of the journal Tolkien Studies.
Her work in the area of Tolkien literature has won her the Mythopoeic Scholarship Award for Inkling Studies three times over three decades (in 1988, 2002, and 2013).
Works edited or co-edited Edit
- Tolkien's Legendarium: Essays on The History of Middle-earth - edited with Carl Hostetter (collected and then published in 2000)
- J.R.R. Tolkien's Smith of Wootton Major "Extended critical edition" (published in 2005)
- J.R.R. Tolkien's On Fairy-stories - co-edited with Douglas Anderson (published in 2008)
- J.R.R. Tolkien's The Story of Kullervo (published in 2015)
- Tolkien Studies: An Annual Scholarly Review (yearly)
Books written Edit
- Splintered Light: Logos and Language in Tolkien's World (1983 - revised in 2002)
- A Question of Time: J.R.R. Tolkien's Road to Faërie (2001)
- Interrupted Music: The Making Of Tolkien's Mythology (2005)
- Green Suns and Faërie: Essays on J.R.R. Tolkien (2012)