It covers in the earliest form J.R.R. Tolkien's stories of The Lord of the Rings through the Battle of the Hornburg, the sack of Isengard, Frodo and Sam's journey through the pass of Cirith Ungol, the War of the Ring in Gondor, and Gandalf's encounter with the Mouth of Sauron at the Black Gate.
The inscription of this volume reads: "In the War of the Ring is traced the story of the history at Helm's Deep and the drowning of Isengard by the Ents, then is told of the journey of Frodo with Samwise and Gollum to the Morannon, of the meeting with Faramir and the stairs of Cirith Ungol, of the Battle of the Pelennor Fields and of the coming of Aragorn in the fleet of Umbar."
Table of Contents Edit
- "Part One: The Fall of Saruman"
- I "The Destruction of Isengard"
- II "Helm's Deep"
- III "The Road to Isengard"
- IV "Flotsam and Jetsam"
- V "The Voice of Saruman"
- VI "The Palantír"
- "Part Two: The Ring Goes East"
- I "The Taming of Sméagol"
- II "The Passage of the Marshes"
- III "The Black Gate is Closed"
- IV "Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit"
- V "Faramir"
- VI "The Forbidden Pool"
- VII "Journey to the Cross-roads"
- VIII "Kirith Ungol"
- "Part Three: Minas Tirith"
- I "Addendum to 'The Treason of Isengard'"
- II "Book Five Begun and Abandoned"
- III "Minas Tirith"
- IV "Many Roads Lead Eastward (1)"
- V "Many Roads lead Eastward (2)"
- VI "The Siege of Gondor"
- VII "The Ride of the Rohirrim"
- VIII "The Story Foreseen from Forannest"
- IX "The Battle of the Pelennor Fields"
- X "The Pyre of Denethor"
- XI "The Houses of Healing"
- XII "The Last Debate"
- XIII "The Black Gate Opens"
- XIV "The Second Map"
|J. R. R. Tolkien's Middle-earth legendarium|