In this year happened most of the events told of in The Hobbit, though not all mentioned below are told of in the book.
- Bilbo is visited by Gandalf and the Thirteen dwarves at Bag End and goes with them on a quest to recover the treasure from Smaug in Erebor.
- Bilbo finds the One Ring.
- Esgaroth is visited by Bilbo and the 13 dwarves in The Hobbit, when they travel down a river in barrels
- Esgaroth is attacked by the dragon Smaug, who is consequentially killed by Bard the Bowman.
- The Battle of the Five Armies takes place. Thorin II Oakenshield, Fíli and Kíli are killed.
- Dain II becomes King under the Mountain.
- The White Council drives Sauron, who had been disguised as the Necromancer, out of his hiding in Dol Guldur.