Swords were the main weapons used by all of the armies of Good and Evil in Tolkien's world.
- Aragorn II Elessar
- Peregrin Took
- Frodo Baggins
- Bilbo Baggins
- Samwise Gamgee
- Meriadoc Brandybuck
- Witch-king of Angmar
Swords were probably first made by the Noldor Elves before their expulsion from Valinor and by the Sindarin Elves of the Beleriand in Middle-earth. After the start of the War of the Jewels, all the races of the world forged them for their battles with the armies of Morgoth. Among the Elves, the Noldor were famed for their swords which were often endowed with a seemingly magical property that caused them to glow when fell creatures like orcs were near. Some swords seemed sapient to a degree, as was the case with Gurthang, which was said to have spoken to Túrin. As described in the Unfinished Tales, the Númenoreans used a short sword called an Eket. The sword was a stabbing weapon. Isildur threw all his weapons and armor away except his eket when escaping from an Orc-ambush at the Disaster of the Gladden Fields.
Some swords used in Middle-earth:Edit
- Anglachel, the sword of Túrin Turambar, before being reforged as Gurthang
- Andúril, the sword of Aragorn beforehand known as Narsil.
- Glamdring, the sword of Gandalf.
- Gúthwinë, the sword of Eomer.
- Gurthang, the sword of Túrin Turambar.
- Lhang (Elvish two-handed sword)