It was located in the southern part of Thargelion and a little north of the river Ascar of the land of Ossiriand. The Dwarf-Road that ran from the Dwarvish cities in the Blue Mountains all the way to Menegroth in Doriath, crossed the ford.
The road dates back to the ancient times before the rising of the Sun, and was built by the Dwarves of the Blue Mountains to travel on as they trafficked into the Beleriand going to and from their cities and Menegroth, where they worked as metallurgists for the Elves. When the Ñoldor returned to Middle-earth, the Dwarves established a trade relationship with them especially with Caranthir's realm and frequently crossed the ford. Finrod Felagund, the Lord of Nargothrond who was fond of wandering crossed the Gelion at the ford on his way to meeting Men for the first time.
The site was best known for being the site where Beren Erchamion and a group of Laiquendi ambushed the Dwarves of Nogrod and destroyed them for their sacking of Menegroth. Sarn Athrad was lost with the sinking of the Beleriand at the end of the First Age.
Translations around the WorldEdit
|Foreign Language||Translated name|
|Belarusian Cyrillic||Сарн Атhрад|
|Bulgarian Cyrillic||Сарн Атрад|
|Kazakh||Сарн Атһрад (Cyrillic) Sarn Athrad (Latin)|
|Kyrgyz Cyrillic||Сарн Атhрад|
|Macedonian Cyrillic||Сарн Атрад|
|Mongolian Cyrillic||Сарн Атрад|
|Serbian||Сарн Атхрад (Cyrillic) Sarn Athrad (Latin)|
|Ukrainian Cyrillic||Сарн Аттрад|
|Fords of Middle-earth|
- ↑ The Atlas of Middle-earth, The First Age, The Elder Days, "Beleriand and the Lands to the North"
- ↑ The Silmarillion, Quenta Silmarillion, Chapter X: "Of the Sindar"
- ↑ The Silmarillion, Quenta Silmarillion, Chapter XVII: "Of the Coming of Men into the West"
- ↑ The Silmarillion, Quenta Silmarillion, Chapter XXII: "Of the Ruin of Doriath"
- ↑ The Complete Guide to Middle-earth
- ↑ The Silmarillion, Index of Names