Nimbrethil's birches were used by Eärendil to build his well-known sailing-ship Vingilot. Nimbrethil was lost along with everything else in the Beleriand at the end of the First Age. The forest was recalled when Bilbo chanted the Song of Eärendil in Rivendell.
- ↑ The Silmarillion (inside cover), "Map of Beleriand and the Lands to the North"
- ↑ The Atlas of Middle-earth, The First Age, The Elder Days, "Beleriand and the Lands to the North"
- ↑ The Silmarillion, Quenta Silmarillion, Chapter XXIV: "Of the Voyage of Eärendil and the War of Wrath"
- ↑ The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring, Book Two, Chapter I: "Many Meetings"
- ↑ The Silmarillion, Appendix: Elements in Quenya and Sindarin names