Nessa was the sister of Oromë. She is lithe and swift of foot; she loves fast moving creatures such as deer. Her speed is said to have even that of a deer which follow her in the wilds. Nessa married the valiant warrior Tulkas in Almaren, during the Spring of Arda (Years of the Lamps).
Two earlier names for Nessa were Helinyetille, the "Eyes of Heartsease", from helin ("violet, pansy"), and Melesta, from mele ("to love").
Other versions in the legendariumEdit
|Ainur of Arda|
|Lords of the Valar (of Valinor):||Manwë (Súlimo) | Ulmo (Ulubôz) | Aulë (Návatar) | Oromë (Aldaron) | Námo (Mandos) | Irmo (Lórien) | Tulkas (Astaldo)|
|Queens of the Valar (of Valinor):|| |
Varda (Elentári) | Yavanna (Kementári) | Nienna | Estë | Vairë | Vána | Nessa
|Maiar (of Valinor):|| |
Eönwë | Ilmarë | Ossë | Uinen | Salmar | Melian | Arien | Tilion | Curumo (Saruman) | Olórin (Gandalf) | Aiwendil (Radagast) | Alatar (Morinehtar) | Pallando (Rómestámo)
|Lords of the Valar (The Enemy):|| |
|Maiar (The Enemy):||Sauron (Mairon) | Gothmog | Durin's Bane | Ungoliant | Shelob | Curumo (Saruman)|
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 The Silmarillion, Valaquenta, "Of the Valar"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 The History of Middle-earth, Vol. 10: Morgoth's Ring, The Annals of Aman
- ↑ The History of Middle-earth, Vol. 5: The Lost Road and Other Writings, Part Three: "The Etymologies"
- ↑ The History of Middle-earth, Vol. 1: The Book of Lost Tales Part One, Appendix: Names in the Lost Tales – Part I
- ↑ The History of Middle-earth, Vol. 4: The Shaping of Middle-earth, III: "The Quenta"