Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- "I suppose you three won't want mushrooms again?"
- —Fredegar Bolger
Mushrooms were a particular delight of young Frodo Baggins, who would often steal them from Farmer Maggot's fields. Old Maggot still remembered it when Frodo came to his farm years later, and as a parting gift, Mrs. Maggot gave Frodo a basket of the prized mushrooms.
J.R.R. Tolkien described himself as a Hobbit in all but size, noting that he was very fond of mushrooms.
Portrayal in adaptationsEdit
- In The Hobbit (2003 video game), Balfor Mushrooms in Goblin-town, Though the scenes in Maggot's house have been omitted, a nod to mushrooms is given when the four Hobbits escape Farmer Maggot. Peregrin Took spots them after a comment on a "short cut", making the full phrase sound as "A short cut to... mushrooms!", the chapter title.
- Mushrooms serve as power-ups throughout the game. One mushroom - green and blue of colour - restores one health bubble. Later in the game, larger, clustered mushrooms serve as a full healing item.
- In The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (video game), mushrooms are collectible items found throughout the Shire. When consumed, they restore 10 points of the player's health.
- In The Lord of the Rings Online, mushrooms can be grown by players who are farmers by profession. Players who are cooks can make these into mushroom pie, fried mushroom and fried dace with mushrooms. These are foods for low leveled characters that can increase different traits.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring, "A Short Cut to Mushrooms"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Humphrey Carpenter, Christopher Tolkien (eds.), The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter 213 (dated October 25, 1958)
- ↑ The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, "A Short Cut to Mushrooms"
- ↑ The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (video game), "The Shire"
- ↑ The Hobbit (2003 video game), "Hobbiton"
- ↑ The Hobbit (2003 video game), "Flies and Spiders"