Menelmacar was created by Varda just before the Awakening of the Elves as a symbol of light and hope. It also forebodes the Last Battle prophesized at the End of Days. It is most likely the constellation of Orion.
- Menelmakar - another name and was a sign for Túrin and the War of Wrath
- Menelvagor - a name mentioned in The Lord of the Rings Appendix E
- Menelmakil - an older name for Telumehtar
- Telumehtar - ("Warrior of the Sky")
- ↑ The Silmarillion, Quenta Silmarillion, Chapter III: "Of the Coming of the Elves and the Captivity of Melkor"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 The History of Middle-earth, Vol. 10: Morgoth's Ring, The Later Quenta Silmarillion, The First Phase, "Of the Coming of the Elves"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 The History of Middle-earth, Vol. 10: Morgoth's Ring, The Annals of Aman
- ↑ The History of Middle-earth, Vol. 5: The Lost Road and Other Writings, Part Three: "The Etymologies"
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 The History of Middle-earth, Vol. 11: The War of the Jewels, Part Four: Quendi and Eldar, Appendix D: Kwen, Quenya, and the Elvish (especially Ñoldorin) words for 'Language