Kôrtirion was the principal city of Tol Eressëa.
The city was probably built after the Teleri were already well established on the island and familiar with it, and it is possibly that they received some help from the Ñoldor as they were great builders.
Kôrtirion was not described or mentioned in The Silmarillion. It was only documented in The Book of Lost Tales, Part one and mapped out by Karen Wynn Fonstad in her atlas of Middle-earth. It was also mentioned in both the poem and song: Kortirion among the Trees and Kôr.
- ↑ The Atlas of Middle-earth, The Second Age, "Introduction"
- ↑ The Silmarillion, Quenta Silmarillion, Chapter IX: "Of the Flight of the Noldor", Fëanor said that the Ñoldor helped carve out the haven of Alqualondë so if that were true for that city, it is possible that it could be true for Kôrtirion
- ↑ The Silmarillion, Index of Names
- ↑ The Silmarillion, Appendix: Elements in Quenya and Sindarin names
- ↑ The History of Middle-earth, Vol. 1: The Book of Lost Tales Part One, Appendix: Names in the Lost Tales – Part I
- ↑ The History of Middle-earth, Vol. 1: The Book of Lost Tales Part One, I: "The Cottage of Lost Play"
- Kortirion redirected to Tol Eressëa but mentioned there