In the Real WorldEdit
- 1965: The thirteenth episode of the Princess-serialization of The Hobbit is published.
- 1972: In honour of his 80th birthday the following day, The Sunday Times Magazine runs an interview of William Cater with J.R.R. Tolkien, entitled "The Lord of the Legends".
- 2004: The Art of The Return of the King is published by Houghton Mifflin.
- 2004: The Lord of the Rings Complete Visual Companion is published by Houghton Mifflin.
- The end of the Yuletide celebrations in the Shire.
- The Fellowship of the Ring travels south along the Misty Mountains.