An interwiki link is a link to another wiki. This link is often to another Wikia wiki, but can be to any other wiki listed on the interwiki map. Interwiki links are shortcuts which prevent the need to use the full URL, and simplify the maintenance of links if a wiki later changes its address.
Linking to another Wikia wiki
- To create an interwiki link from your Wikia wiki to another, use the format
[[w:c:wikiname:pagename]]. So for example if you wanted to link to the Jedi page on Wookieepedia, you would use
- If you would like to modify the display text, follow the same format as with all links, and add a | after the link with the text you want displayed. So for example,
[[w:c:Starwars:Jedi|test]], would appear as test.
- Shared help is a special case:
[[w:c:community:]]or its shorthand
[[w:c:c:]]are silently stripped when help pages are transcluded on other Wikias, and this would break links to other community pages outside of the help namespace.
- To link to another language version of your wiki, use
[[fr:fromage]]will link to the "fromage" article on the French-language version of that wiki.
- If you leave off the pagename, it will use the pagename of the article the interwiki link is placed on.
- Generally such links are placed alphabetically by language code at the end of an article, and will show up in the sidebar. See Help:Interlanguage links for more information.
- Note: because different languages can use different wiki names (such as the English cycling.wikia.com and the French cyclisme.wikia.com), interlanguage linking must be manually activated by the community team. If your topic has another language version at Wikia, and you would like to activate interlanguage linking, please leave a request on the Interlanguage link requests page on Community Central.
Linking to any other non-English Wikia wiki
- The international Wikia wikis have a country code prefix. German wikis for example have the servername
de.<wikiname>.wikia.com. Spanish wikis can be found under
- When you link to one of these wikis, you need to add the country code prefix. Example:
[[w:c:fr.<wikiname>:Page]](Note the dot between "fr" and the wikiname!)
Linking to an external Wiki
- Sites listed in the Interwiki map can be linked via
[[wiki prefix:page name]]. For example,
[[Wikipedia:Jedi]]will be converted to link to the English Wikipedia's "Jedi" article: Wikipedia:Jedi. Interwiki links are not flagged as external links and can be added by unregistered contributors.
- Note that the name used in the interwiki link is not always exactly the same as the domain or sub-domain, e.g. MetaWikipedia: vs. http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki. Wikia's interwiki map also supports MetaWikiMedia: and m: for this "meta wiki" with (old) help pages in different languages.
- Newer MediaWiki help pages are kept on mw: also known as MediaWikiWiki: for the http://mediawiki.org/wiki/. This is not (yet) listed on the Interwiki map, because it's a (new) MediaWiki default. Don't confuse this with the MediaWiki: namespace for system messages.
- See the interwiki map on Community Central with interwiki prefixes for an ever-growing list of individual external wikis.
Link to a Wikia site from an external wiki
- If the wiki is in the interwiki map of another wiki, you can link to any Wikia using the syntax:
[[Wikia:c:Wiki name:Page title]]or
- For example,
[[Wikiasite:Starwars:Jedi]]from a wiki outside Wikia would link to http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jedi
- Shared help and shared templates are special cases of Interwiki links
- To request a specific interwiki link for your wiki, please visit this page.
- MetaWikipedia:Help:Interwiki linking