Fangorn Forest was actually just the easternmost survivor of the immense forest that spanned all of Eriador and Calenardhon in the First Age and early Second Age, but which was destroyed by the Númenóreans felling trees to build their mighty ships and Sauron's war on the Elves. Fangorn forest was the oldest part of Treebeard's realm, and to here the Ents retreated.
On the late February of TA 3019, Meriadoc Brandybuck and Peregrin Took escaped from the Orcs that captured them and met Treebeard. They persuaded him of the danger that Saruman poses to the Ents and their forest. The Ents took council and agree to march against Isengard. Huorns were sent to Helm's Deep to assist in the Battle of the Hornburg.
On March 1, TA 3019, Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli enter the forest and encounter the White Rider, whom they believed to be Saruman, but was in fact Gandalf returned from his battle at Khazad-dum.
Translations around the WorldEdit
|Foreign Language||Translated name|
|Portuguese (Brazil)||Floresta de Fangorn|
|Chinese (Hong Kong)||法貢森林|
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 The Atlas of Middle-earth, Thematic Maps, "Index of Place Names"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 The Lord of the Rings, Appendix B: The Tale of Years (Chronology of the Westlands), "The Great Years"
- ↑ The Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers, Book Three, Chapter IV: "Treebeard"
- ↑ The Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers, Book Three, Chapter VII: "Helm's Deep"
- ↑ The Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers, Book Three, Chapter V: "The White Rider"
- ↑ Parma Eldalamberon, Words, Phrases and Passages in Various Tongues in The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
- ↑ Guide to the Names in The Lord of the Rings, Entwade, Entwash, Entwood
Places of Middle-earth and Arda
Forests & Mountains:
The rest of Arda: