The following is a list of the protagonists and antagonists of J.R.R. Tolkien's book The Hobbit. All of Thorin's company are included, as are both minor and greater characters. Lesser antagonists are also included.
- Bard, the Man who assists the people of Esgaroth after Smaug's attack.
- Balin, an ancient dwarf and Bilbo's particular friend. One of the few survivors of the Battle of Five Armies.
- Beorn the Shapeshifter, who assists Gandalf and the Dwarves after the perils of the Misty Mountains.
- Bifur, one of the Dwarves who accompanies Thorin.
- Bilbo Baggins, the Hobbit, the titular character and protagonist of the book.
- Bofur, Bifur's companion.
- Bolg, one of the main antagonists. He is a fierce, evil Orc (possibly an Uruk) whose father Azog was slain in Moria. Bolg wants to avenge his father, but he is himself slain.
- Bombur, a Dwarf famed for his immense bulk. He loved meals above anything else and when he was put asleep in Mirkwood he dreamt he was eating forever.
- Dain, aka Dain of the Iron Hills, he slew Bolg's father Azog.
- Dwalin, Balin's brother and companion of Thorin. Bilbo, knowing nothing of Dwarves, initially assumes Balin and Dwalin are old friends.
- Dori, seemingly a youngish Dwarf, and arrives at Bilbo's hole just in time for some tea.
- Elven-King of Mirkwood; the father of Legolas Greenleaf and initially Thorin's enemy. However, he comes to understand the true nature of Thorin's dangerous quest and sends his own army to Erebor in the hopes to gain some of the treasure to support his people.
- Elrond, one of the principal protagonists of The Hobbit, and a master of runes. He owns the valley of Imladris.
- Eagle-King, the Lord of the Eagles who assists Bilbo, Thorin, the Dwarves and Gandalf from escaping the Misty Mountains and later assists in winning the Battle of Five Armies.
- Gandalf, who actually doesn't have much to orchestrate in The Hobbit. He is a Maiar and becomes one of Bilbo's closest friends at the climax. During Bilbo's adventure, he spends much of his time at the White Council where he learns from his fellow Maiar Saruman that the One Ring presumably was washed down to Belegaer. He later returns to save the Elves, Men, Dwarves and Bilbo from destruction at the Battle of Five Armies.
- Gollum, an ugly subterranean creature who Bilbo meets in the Misty Mountains, and one of the key antagonists of The Hobbit. Once a Hobbit, he seized the One Ring after murdering his friend Deagol in order to obtain it and then fled into the Misty Mountains after departing the perils of Wilderland.
- Gloin, one of the twelve Dwarves of Thorin's company.
- Kili, presumably Fili's brother and one of the youngest of Thorin's companions.
- Master of Lake-town, an ally of Bard the Bow-Man and the Lord of Esgaroth on the Long Lake. However, he is greedy and soon succumbs to Smaug's corruption.
- Nori, one of the Dwarves in Thorin's band.
- Oin, another of Thorin's company.
- Ori, yet another Dwarf in Thorin's troupe.
- Smaug, the primary antagonist, he settled on Erebor in TA 2770 but was destroyed by Bard the Bow-Man in TA 2941.
This category has only the following subcategory.
Pages in category "The Hobbit Characters"
The following 37 pages are in this category, out of 37 total.