Bungo Baggins was the father of Bilbo. Bungo was born in 2846. He was the eldest of the five children of Mungo Baggins and Laura (Grubb) Baggins. His siblings were named Belba, Longo, Linda, and Bingo. Bungo married Belladonna Took sometime in S.R. 1280 and built a luxurious Hobbit-hole called Bag End in the Hill at Hobbiton for her. They had one child, Bilbo, born in 2890. Bungo died in 2926.
Aside from fathering Bilbo, Bungo is most remembered for the construction of the infamous Bag End, which had become a topic of great discussion and a place of important meetings and gatherings concerning the world.
- "Third time pays for all."
- —Bilbo quoting his father just before he enters the mountain tunnel.
- "Every worm has his weak spot."
- —Bilbo quoting his father before reentering the mountain tunnel.
- "While there's life there's hope."
- —Bilbo quoting his father after the Dwarves were in despair at their being trapped in the Lonely Mountain by Smaug.
- The Hobbit: "Inside Information"
- The Hobbit: "Not at Home"
- The Lord of the Rings: Appendix C, "Baggins of Hobbiton