- "Ha, hmm, my friends, let us go for a walk! I am Bregalad, that is Quickbeam in your language. But it is only a nickname, of course. They have called me that ever since I said yes to an elder Ent before he had finished his question. Also I drink quickly, and go out while some are still wetting their beards. Come with me!"
- —Bregalad to Merry and Pippin in The Two Towers
Bregalad, known in the common tongue as Quickbeam, was a middle-aged Ent at the time of the War of the Ring. He was significantly younger than elder ents such as Treebeard, as he can be described as quite young. He guarded the rowan trees, and indeed resembled a rowan himself. He was one of Skinbark's people, and made his home on the mountain-slopes west of Isengard until the orcs cut down his forest. Having no other choice, he then moved to an ent-house near Derndingle in the area of Fangorn forest.
At the Entmoot, Bregalad lived up to his reputation for hastiness; he was the first ent that decided to attack Isengard, since Saruman's orcs had destroyed many of his rowan groves. Seeing that Bregalad's mind had already been made up, Treebeard then sent him to watch over Merry and Pippin while the debate among the other ents continued. He sang songs and laughed with the hobbits; they stayed at his ent-house near Derndingle, where the Entmoot was held.
Bregalad later played an important role in the attack on Isengard, as he fought alongside Treebeard and nearly captured Saruman himself. After the water from Isen River had flooded Isengard, he stood guard at the bottom of the stairs of Orthanc. After the War of the Ring, his fate is unknown.
Translations around the WorldEdit
|Foreign Language||Translated name|
|Portuguese (Brazil)||Bregalad a.k.a. Tronquesperto|
|Chinese (Hong Kong)||快枝|
|Norwegian||Bregalad a.k.a. Rappstråle|
Bregalad a.k.a. Bråbom
Appearances in adaptationsEdit
In The Lord of the Rings Online Quickbeam is found in the grove near Nan Curunir mourning the loss of his tree-friends. He asks the player to exact vengeance upon Orcs and Uruks and deprive them of the means to hurt even more trees.
In LEGO The Lord of the Rings: The Video Game, the player can choose either using Treebeard or another lighter-colored Ent to destroy Isengard, which is assumed by some to be Quickbeam. Both of them have the same abilities and speed.
His Sindarin name translates roughly as "Quickbeam" (from bragol and galad which means "sudden" and "tree"). He received this nickname when he answered "yes" before an elder Ent had finished asking the question; this also showed his "hasty" temper for his race. 
- Although Quickbeam does not expressly appear in The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers film adaptation, there is a "Rowan Ent" seen in the film that many fans have taken to be Quickbeam pared down to a non-speaking role.
- "Quickbeam" is the internet pseudonym of Cliff Broadway, a Senior Staff at TheOneRing.net.
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, "Words, Phrases and Passages in Various Tongues in The Lord of the Rings", in Parma Eldalamberon XVII (edited by Christopher Gilson), p. 82
|Beechbone | Bregalad (Quickbeam) | Fangorn (Treebeard) | Fimbrethil (Wandlimb) | Finglas (Leaflock) | Fladrif (Skinbark)|