Bats were giant flying creatures that roamed in the forests of Middle-Earth. Most bats were part of the forest's ecosystem, however, some bats were bred from darkness and variants of vampires and were known for their service to the forces of Darkness. Bats sided with the goblins and wargs in the Battle of Five Armies, during which they flew so thickly across the sky that the sunlight was blotted out.
Appearances in adaptations Edit
- In The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, giant bats chase Radagast the Brown after he encounters the Necromancer at Dol Guldur.
- Bats of Dol Guldur were seen in the franchise.
- A larger form, the Cave bats, were seen as part of the Goblin faction in the The Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle-earth II.
Games Workshop Edit
- Giant Bats are a unit in the "Misty Mountains" faction of the The Lord of the Rings Strategy Battle Game.
The Lord Of The Rings OnlineEdit
- Bats are found in caves throughout Middle-earth, especially in Moria. They are frequently the pets of the Merrevail.