A Drinking Song is sung by Frodo Baggins, Samwise Gamgee, and Peregrin Took after lunch the day after they meet Gildor and the Elves on their way to Crickhollow. The Elves had filled the hobbits' water bottles with a honey-scented, pale gold drink that was very invigorating. Just after the song, they first hear the calls of the Black Riders.
A few lines of this song are sung by Merry and Pippin in The Green Dragon Inn in the expanded version of The Fellowship of the Ring (film).
- Ho! Ho! Ho! to the bottle I go
- To heal my heart and drown my woe.
- Rain may fall and wind may blow,
- And many miles be still to go,
- But under a tall tree I will lie,
- And let the clouds go sailing by.