- Snow assails the Fellowship while they are on the Caradhras.
- Continued snow on Caradhras.
- The Fellowship is attacked by wolves in the early hours of the day.
- The Fellowship reaches West-gate of Moria by nightfall, but encountered The Watcher in the Water.
- Gollum begins to follow the Fellowship and the Ring-bearer, Frodo.
- The Fellowship flees Moria.
- Gandalf falls into Khazad-dûm.
- The Fellowship reaches the Nimrodel by night.
- The Fellowship is led to Caras Galadhon during the evening hours.
- The Battle of the Peak occurs between Gandalf and the Balrog.
- Gandalf defeats the Balrog but is slain in the process.
- The Fellowship leaves Lórien.
- Gollum watches the company's departure and follows them.
- Gwaihir flies Gandalf to Lórien.
- The boats of the Fellowship are attacked during the night near Sarn Gebir.
- The Fellowship of the Ring passes the Argonath on the Anduin and sets up camp at Parth Galen.
- The First Battle of the Fords of Isen occurs and Théodred, the son of Théoden is slain by Saruman's forces in the battle.
- The death of Boromir.
- The breaking of the Fellowship.
- Frodo and Sam set out on their own.
- Merry and Pippin are captured by the orcs.
- Aragorn and company pursue the orcs.
- Éomer learns of the descent of the Orc-band from Emyn Muil.
- Aragorn and company reach the west-cliff on sunrise.
- Éomer defies Théoden’s orders to allow the orcs to pass and leads a force against into the Eastfold.
- Éomer overpowers the Orc-band outside the Fangorn forest.
- Merry and Pippin escape the orcs and meet Treebeard.
- The Rohirrim attack and destroy the Orc-band at sunrise.
- Frodo and Sam descend from the Emyn Muil and encounter Gollum.
- Faramir sees the funeral boat of his brother Boromir.
- The Entmoot begins.
- Éomer meets Aragorn.
- Frodo and company begins passing through the Dead Marshes at dawn.
- The Entmoot continues.
- Aragorn and company meet Gandalf the White and go to Edoras.
- Faramir leaves Minas Tirith and goes to Ithilien.
- Frodo and company complete their journey through the Dead Marshes.
- Gandalf heals Théoden of his ills.
- Saruman launches a full-scale invasion of Rohan and the Rohirrim ride against Saruman and the Second Battle of the Fords of Isen occurs.
- Erkenbrand is defeated.
- The Entmoot ends in the afternoon and a decision is made on the issue of Saruman and Isengard.
- The Ents agree to attack Isengard to stop Saruman and his forces from doing further ruin to the forest.
- Théoden and Gandalf go from Helm’s Deep to Isengard.
- Frodo and company reach the Slag-mounds on the edge of the desolation of Morannon.
- Théoden and Gandalf reach Isengard at noon and parley with Saruman at Orthanc.
- Nazgûl on wings pass over camp at Dol Baran.
- Gandalf and Pippin go to Minas Tirith.
- Frodo hides at the sight of the Morannon, and then leaves at dusk.
- Aragorn encounters the Dúnedain in the early hours of the day.
- Théoden leaves the Hornburg for the Harrowdale followed by Aragorn later.
- Frodo encounters Faramir and his Rangers in Ithilien and is taken to Henneth Annûn.
- Aragorn reaches Dunharrow when night falls.
- At daybreak, Aragorn takes the Paths of the Dead and reaches Erech at midnight.
- Frodo is released by Faramir and leaves Henneth Annûn.
- Gandalf and Pippin reach Minas Tirith.
- Faramir leaves the refuge of Henneth Annûn.
- Aragorn leaves Erech and goes to Calembel.
- Frodo and Company comes to the Morgul-road.
- Théoden comes to Dunharrow.
- Darkness flows out from Mordor.
- The Dawnless Day begins.
- The Muster of Rohan begins and they ride from Harrowdale.
- Gandalf rescues Faramir outside the gates of the city.
- Aragorn crosses the river Ringló.
- Cair Andros is taken by an army from the Morannon and passes into Anórien.
- Frodo observes the Morgul-host setting out from Mordor after passing the crossroads in Mordor.
- Gollum goes to Shelob and after seeing Frodo sleeping, he nearly repents his plans to have him killed to get the Ring.
- Denethor sends Faramir to Osgiliath.
- Aragorn comes to the land of Linhir and then enters Lebennin.
- The eastern part of Rohan is invaded from the north.
- Lórien is attacked for the first time.
- Frodo is led into Shelob’s lair by Gollum and poisoned by her.
- The Causeway Forts are abandoned by Faramir.
- Théoden makes a camp under the Min-Rimmon.
- The enemy is driven towards Pelargir by Aragorn’s forces.
- The invaders of Rohan are defeated by the Ents.
- Frodo is taken by the Orcs of Cirith Ungol.
- The Pelennor Fields is overrun by the enemy.
- Faramir is wounded near to death.
- Aragorn captures the enemy fleet at Pelargir.
- Théoden’s forces are in the Drúadan Forest.
- Sam finds Frodo in the Tower of Cirith Ungol.
- Minas Tirith is besieged by the enemy.
- The Drúedain are guided through the forest and come to the Grey Wood.
- The death of Théoden, Seventeenth King of Rohan, at the Battle of the Pelennor Fields.
- Éomer becomes the Eighteenth King of Rohan.
- The Witch-king of Angmar killed by Éowyn of Rohan and Meriadoc Brandybuck.
- The death of Denethor.
- The standard of Arwen is raised by Aragorn.
- Frodo and Sam escape from the Cirith Ungol and begin their journey to Mount Doom following the path along the Morgai.
- A battle occurs in Mirkwood
- Thranduil repels an attack by the forces of Dol Guldur.
- Lórien is attacked for the second time.
- The debate of the commanders occurs.
- Frodo views Mount Doom from the Morgai
- The Battle of Dale.
- The death of King Brand of Dale and King Dáin II Ironfoot.
- Dwarves and Men are besieged in the Lonely Mountain.
- Shagrat brings Frodo’s mithril cloak and his sword to Barad-dûr.
- The army of the west marches from Minas Tirith to the Morannon.
- Frodo sees the Isenmouthe and he is overtaken by orcs marching on the road from Durthang to Udûn.
- The Orc-host comes to the Morgul Vale and Frodo and Sam manage to escape and resume their journey to Mount Doom along the road to the Barad-dûr.
- A dreadful nightfall in Mordor and Frodo and Sam leave the road and turn south for Mount Doom.
- Lórien is attacked for the third time.
- The army of the west passes out of Ithilien.
- The fate-hearted are dismissed and sent to recapture Cair Andros.
- Frodo and Sam discard their orc-gear and arms.
- Frodo and Sam’s last journey to the feet of Mount Doom.
- The army of the west camps in the Desolation of the Morannon.
- The Battle of the Morannon.
- The death of Gollum (Sméagol).
- The destruction of the One Ring.
- The final defeat of the Dark Lord Sauron.
- Gondor declares day as official new year
- The remaining Nazgul are destroyed
- Celeborn meets with Thranduil.
- Aragorn is crowned King Elessar of the Reunited Kingdom of Arnor and Gondor.
- Gandalf helps Aragorn to find the sapling of the new White Tree.
- Arwen Undómiel and her father Lord Elrond arrive in Lothlorien, to meet with Arwen's grandparents, the Lady Galadriel and the Lord Celeborn.
- An escort comes to Edoras.
- Théoden’s funeral is held.
- King Éomer’s guests take their leave.
- Saruman is released by Treebeard.
- The escort comes to Helm’s Deep.
- They come to Isengard and take leave of the King of the West when the sun sets.
- The encounter with Saruman occurs and he heads towards the Shire.
- The Mountains of Moria are seen.
- Celeborn and Galadriel leave and others leave for Rivendell.
- They return to Rivendell.
- Bilbo celebrates his 129th birthday.
- Saruman reaches the Shire.
- The Hobbits and Gandalf depart Rivendell.
- Frodo experiences the return of the pain of the wound given to him at Weathertop by the Witch-king as they cross the Ford of Bruinen.
- The party reaches Bree by nightfall and stays there until the 30th.
- The Hobbits leave Bree and come to the Brandywine Bridge.
- The Hobbits are arrested at Frogmorton.
- The Hobbits come to Bywater and rouse and muster other Hobbits of the Shire.